Google has told hard disk manufacturers to consider creating Refurbish Hard Disk Design For Data Centers. It also means that hard disks have to lose its conventional 3.5 inch dimension format to a taller styles. However, it’s true that the latest hard rive come to terms with its dimensions to the floppy disk employed in computers. It is extremely unlikely that is the best style and currently that we are substantially in the generation of cloud-based storage, it is time to reassess all in all the concepts of recent hard drives and look ahead for designing a new and advanced HDD.
See Also- New Hard Drive Design For Data Centers
Eric Brewer, VP of Infrastructure at Google and a professor at UC Berkeley in a research paper(White Paper) arouses a debate for revamp form factor, confronting that the personal hard drive is usually a part of a aggregate in data center infrastructure and that a bigger and more spacious drives would decrease chances of failure and convey new possibilities to modify Hard Disk Design For Data Centers and abandon the rule and restrictions that steer to the ongoing standard. He also said that, the larger and more hard drive space will be better for storing massive amount of information at one place.
Right now, we are using 3.5 inch HDD, that was used for historic purposes and it’s size is taken from the computers floppy disk. Changing the design and shape is a lengthy process which needs a huge amount of discussion, however we could see a massive modification in that. More over there is utmost necessity to refurbish hard disks form factor because If we take an example for YouTube only, users upload more than 400 hours of video each minute, that is 1GB/hr needs over 1 Petabyte unit (1M GB) of storage on a daily basis. So, seeing at this, Google has made 5 key measure for Hard Disk Design For Data Centers that embrace higher input output (I/O) per second i.e IOPS, restricted mainly by the HDD time interval, higher total capability, lower tail latency, security necessities and lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
More Info Here- Hard Disk Format For Cloud Storage
Hard Disk Design For Data Centers And Its Concept
1. First thing on Google’s list is to refurbish form factors in such a way that is doesn’t look odd and heavy. To accomplish this dream Google has thought of taller disks. Well Taller drives is better in every sense to Google such that these drives grant lot of platters per disk, that will add storage capacity and reduces the prices of packaging, the drive motor/actuator and also the printed circuit board.
2. The paper additionally suggests that if mixing platter sizes within a disk may help then the smaller platters would supply bad GB/$, however wonderful IOPS/GB, however that may be balanced by the presence of bigger and more capacity platters. Hence, Eric Brewer’s team members urges to increase the height of the standard Hard Disk Design For Data Centers which is right now constant at an average of 1 inch for 3.5 inch disks and 15mm for 2.5 inch drives for so many years.
See Also:- Current Hard Drive Standards
3. Google’s next plan is to strip the cache out of disks and change it. From a TCO aspect it makes a lot of sense to maneuver RAM caching from the disks to the tray, as one huge cache that will be reasonable and more practical.
4. The paper additionally proposes the chance that current Bit Error Rate on commercial hard disk drives is set constantly high for the needs of data center usage, seeing the numerous copying of data.
5. Finally, on the design front, Google demand a customary 12v DC power supply to disks. Plenty of suggestions regarding a way to build disks a lot more productive and effective at the various background tasks they have to perform to safe data. Google looks to need those tasks created lower priority, so the disk will pay longer doing productive I/O.
At last but not the least, form a users perspective revamping Hard Disk Design For Data Centers is a phenomenal idea which will secure our data to large extent and resolve data loss issue but its needs to integrated as well thought out plan.
For More Info Visit- Advanced Platter And I/O Disk